Environment Canterbury Regional Council
Our purpose is to facilitate sustainable development in the Canterbury region
Te huawaere i te kauneke tauwhiro i Waitaha.
We do this so:
- We can breathe clean air, play and swim in the rivers, gather mahinga kai, benefit from the productive use of our land, and enjoy Canterbury’s unique biodiversity taonga and landscapes.
- We can live, travel, and move goods with ease, within and to/from the region, facilitating work, leisure and tourism.
- We have access to the information we need to be resilient in the face of short-term hazards and well-prepared for longer-term change to our region’s natural environment.
- We can all help shape the future of Canterbury, leaving a legacy for generations to come
We have six broad portfolios. In each of these there are programmes of work, and within those there are projects.
You can find out about our portfolios and what activities are covered by them on these pages or by viewing the 2018-28 Long-Term Plan.
The six portfolios are:
- Air Quality
- Biodiversity and Biosecurity
- Freshwater Management
- Hazards, Risk and Resilience
- Regional Leadership
- Transport and Urban Development