Skip to content

The Timaru Herald

Chamber of Commerce Member
Partner-Level-Badge-Gold-@2x

Stuff-The-Timaru-Herald_South-Canterbury Stuff-The-Timaru-Herald_South-Canterbury Stuff-The-Timaru-Herald_South-Canterbury Stuff-The-Timaru-Herald_South-Canterbury

The Timaru Herald

  • Phone@2x

    687 1304

  • Map Pin@2x

    19 Sophia St, Timaru

  • Email@2x

    Email us

Proudly associated with:

Business-Excellence-Awards-2019_Sponsor_South-Canterbury-Business-Excellence-Awards

Get the latest local, national and world feature news from Timaru's daily newspaper.

The Timaru Herald is a daily provincial newspaper serving the Timaru, South Canterbury and North Otago districts of New Zealand.  The current audited daily circulation is about 14,500 copies, with a readership of about 31,000 people.  The paper is owned and published by Fairfax New Zealand.

The Herald was first published in 1864. Initially it appeared as a weekly paper, and then in bi- and tri-weekly form, before eventually becoming a daily morning paper from 1 January 1878. It is currently published on six days a week, Monday to Saturday, in a broadsheet format with full process colour printing.

The Timaru Herald has a history of technical innovation within the New Zealand newspaper industry. At the beginning of the 20th century it became one of the first New Zealand daily papers to replace hand-composed type with Linotype setting. In 1914 the company began New Zealand’s first daily rural mail and newspaper delivery service. By 1957 the Timaru Herald was offering two-colour printing, and in 1988 the paper introduced direct copy entry by journalists. During the late 1980s it was the first newspaper in the South Pacific to employ fully computerised page layout and production systems. In 2005 printing moved to Guardian Print, of Ashburton. In April 2013 printing moved to Fairfax Print & Logistics at 14 Logistics Drive, Harewood, Christchurch. 

Breaking news, opinion and analysis from Timaru and the South Canterbury

X
X