The school acknowledges that the learning it provides today needs to prepare all students for life in a global world.
International students are warmly received into our school’s community of 700 boys and we value this opportunity for contact with other cultures. Our aim is to provide the education best suited to the needs of our international students. We stress the importance of an academic curriculum supported by all the important sporting, cultural and social aspects of education.
At Timaru Boys’ High School we aim to prepare our students for future tertiary and vocational opportunities and to provide international students with the necessary qualifications and fluency in English to succeed in their chosen career. International students will be fully supported in their learning and well cared for.
Established in 1880, we are among the oldest New Zealand secondary schools in New Zealand. While we have a 21st Century focus, we are proud of our over 130 year history.
What We Offer International Students
- Academic excellence
- Top quality education for all students at all levels
- Traditional as well as progressive programmes
- Strong emphasis on examination results
- Sporting and cultural excellence
- Firm and fair discipline
- Sound guidance for boys
- A strong ESOL Department provides timetabled classes for our International Students
- Pastoral care of our International Students is important in ensuring boys are happy at school and home whilst supporting them in their academic learning
- The school has a proud tradition of sporting and cultural involvement.
- International Students attending Timaru Boys’ High School board in homestay situations with local families. These are arranged through the school.
- Timaru is a city of 30,000 people situated on the east coast of the South Island, midway between Christchurch and Dunedin. Just over 2 hours road travel from both major cities. Students will be met on arrival and brought to Timaru.