Waimate - a district to explore
Located in the southern part of South Canterbury, the Waimate District’s boundary to the south is the Waitaki River, to the west Lake Benmore and to the north-east the Pareora River.
The Waimate District is comprised of four wards: Hakataramea-Waihaorunga, Pareora-Otaio-Makikihi, Waihao, Waimate Urban.
- Camping at the Waitaki Lakes
- Visting the Bennett’s wallabies
- Relaxing at the Waimate Ditrict Library, the connects people to people, people to place and people with learning.
- Taking a splash at the Norman Kirk Memorial Swimming Pool.
- Strolling through the district’s main formal gardens, Victoria Park and Queen Street, Waimate.
- Playing at the Victoria Park playground, with a wide range of playground activities.
The Council are Council are proud to host citizenship ceremonies, and celebrates people choosing to adopt New Zealand as their home by becoming New Zealand citizens.
There are many halls and community rooms throughout the Waimate District.
The impressive Waimate Event Centre is host to a range of activities, including:
- Wall climbing
- Indoor bowls
- Table tennis
- In-line skating